Sunday 10 May 2015

Cyfaredd 7: An Excalibur Moment

Haia Pawb (Hi Everyone)

The last few weeks I have been busy with researching sites for my book, finishing up my residency at Corris, and travelling to Manchester and Ynys Mon (Anglesey) to visit friends and continue the research phase of my trip. So, apologies for not posting a blog for some time. I intend to write about the aforementioned activities and other events of my trip in the coming days, but these may not appear in the order I experienced them. I hope you continue to find them interesting and inspiring.

During one of my walks in Corris, the one that goes past the Italian House, I ended up at the plateau/lookout I have mentioned before. I sat there for some time listening to the birds and watching a bee flit from one flower to another as it gathered nectar.

View from the lookout on a bright day
When I was ready to leave, instead of heading down the path on the other side, I decided to explore the mountain behind me. It had been raining the previous few days and I could hear a waterfall. I scrambled through bramble and bracken and had what I can best describe as an Excalibur moment. The scene I stumbled into, with mist, rock, lush green vegetation, and tumbling water, reminded me of the colours and atmosphere of the John Boorman film (trailer can be found here).

My Excalibur Moment
One of the reasons I applied for the residency at Stiwdio Maelor was to use the opportunity of being in the UK to visit various sites in Wales and Scotland associated with my book and gather experiences I can draw on for the writing. This unexpected moment showed my intuition to follow this idea was correct. (The irony of a film about The Matter of Britain prompting an experience of the same isn't lost on me.)

For those fans of the film, here's an iconic image:

Excalibur and The Lady of the Lake
And for those of you following my enjoyment of jackdaws, here's another photo:

'Who was that director again?' 'Hitchcock.' 'Yeah, loved his Birds.'
I hope things are going well for you.

Until next time.

Pob Hwyl
Earl

PS. After finding out people were having trouble posting comments, I've changed the settings, which means you don't have to log in or create an account.

6 comments:

Nadine Cresswell-Myatt said...

How beautiful Earl. You seem drenched in landscape and legend. It fills me with joy to read and see that you are experiencing such memorable times that will make their way into your new book. Lap them up, immerse yourself, enjoy. The Australian winter calls.

Earl Livings said...

Dear Nadine
Thanks for your lovely words and your encouragement. I am trying to capture in memory, photos, and/or words everything I am experiencing, though of course this is impossible. I'm sure much of it will work its way into my writing. I'm not looking forward to the winter when I get back, but will enjoy seeing Jo and all my friends.
Cheers
Earl

Unknown said...

You've filled me with traveller's envy so nicely done.

Earl Livings said...

Dear Brian
Thanks for the compliment. I hope all is well with your writing. All the best, Earl

Unknown said...

Enjoying your musings, discoveries and revelations.

Earl Livings said...

Hi Linda, Glad you're enjoying my posts. Hope to catch up with you some time after my return. Cheers.