Last Sunday (9 Dec 2018), the wonderful poet and mentor of Melbourne poets, Alex Skovron, launched my second poetry collection, Libation. Elly Varrenti, friend and colleague from my teaching time at Box Hill Institute, kept things on schedule for the almost 70 people gathered for the celebration.
|Elly Varrenti welcoming everyone|
The order of events included a Welcome to Country, a welcome to all those gathered in the room, Alex’s speech, my Thank You speech, and my reading of poems from the collection. Below are some comments from messages sent to me after the launch:
- ‘a lovely festive atmosphere…’
- ‘all your friends and supporters seemed to enjoy the afternoon immensely…’
- ‘so much goodwill in the room…’
- ‘Everything just went absolutely perfectly. It was flawless…’
And here are more photos from the launch (in no particular order):
|A tercet of Melbourne poets: Susan Fealy, Alex Skovron, Tony Page (left to right)|
|A triplanetary of Spec Fic writers: Sean McMullen, Joel Martin, Luke Manly (left to right)|
|Jan Dumbrell and Belinda Wells at the sales table (L to R)|
|Chatting with fellow poet/writer Kevin Bonnett, with KEEN member Nadine in the background|
- Elly for her excellent MC work
- Alex for his insightful, humorous and comprehensive launch speech
- Catherine Bateson and John Jenkins for their back cover blurbs and also their feedback during the preparation of the manuscript, along with Nick Engelmann, Ray Liversidge, Robin Rowland, and the late Max Richards
- Veronica Calarco (introduced to me by my ex-student and fellow Welsh practitioner Elizabeth Corbett) and her artist residency at Stiwdio Maelor in Wales, a quiet and inspirational place for working on my various writing projects
- Stephen Matthews of Ginninderra Press for publishing the book
- City of Boroondara Libraries for allowing me to use the community room at Balwyn Library
- Joel Martin for acting as the usher
- Phil Maas for being the official photographer (unless stated, all photos in this post are by him)
- Belinda Wells and Jan Dumbrell for running the sales table
- Astrid, Bill and Jason Bahr, Joe Roberts, the Diegmanns, the Farrars and many others for setting up, running the drinks table, and cleaning up afterwards
- Anne’s Pantry and Nina Farrar for supplying the delicious and bountiful food
- All my friends, colleagues, ex-students, members of my various writing groups (especially KEEN: Catherine, Elly, and Nadine Cresswell-Myatt), and family members for helping make the book the best it can be and the launch a great success
- And my wife, Jo, for her unstinting support, encouragement, and love.
And still more photos:
|Ray Liversidge, fellow poet and friend, and I debating something or other (photo by Terri Redpath)|
|Philip Oakes and Bill Bahr (my brothers-in-law) ready to serve drinks (L to R)|
|The festivities in full swing|
|Jo and me (photo by Terri Redpath)|
|People enjoying themselves after the speeches|
- For a printed copy from the publisher, see here.
- For those who prefer their books in digital form, a Kindle version is available from Amazon (Australia) here.
- For international buyers, the Kindle edition is available here.
- For those who would like a signed copy, contact me at email@example.com and I’ll send it to you. The price is $20, with postage around $3 for Australian addresses.
My thanks also to all of you who have been sharing my creative journey in various guises.
Cofion Cynnes (Warm Wishes)